Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Day six.

Today I began reading through Genesis... and it blew me away. I was reading Chapter one, going through each of the days God took to create the earth and what He did on each specific day. For many of us, this is nothing new but as I was reading, I got to day six. By day six God had already created day and night, He had already created land, seas and vegetation. He had already created the sun, moon and had hand placed each star in the sky. By day six He had created the creatures of the sea and all the animals of the land but on day six, He created man. As I read that I stopped and smiled as the phrase, "best for last" came to mind. Now, I don't know what the Lord was thinking when He decided to create man last but what I do know about Him and His love for man, I wouldn't put it past Him. Verse 26 says, Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness..." Verse 27 goes on to say, So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. How incredible is that? We were made in His image. You were made in His image. Depending on what kind of Bible you have, this might not be true for you but verses 26 and 27 fall on the first page of my Bible. This is front page news. God found it important enough (not to discredit the importance of every other page in the Bible in any way) to put on page number one, in chapter number one. How often do we get caught up in image? If you are anything like me, the answer is far too often. The world we live in tells us we need to look a certian way, shop at certian stores, eat certian kinds of food and support the right causes to fit in, or in this day in age, stand out. Reading Genesis one causes me to pose the question, What would our lives look like if we weren't trying to fit into this world's idea of image and began to trust that God knew what He was doing when He hand crafted us? Nothing about you was a mistake. Nothing. When we start getting caught up or carried away, we need to just return to page one, chapter one, day six. If the truth of that day doesn't ground us, I don't know what will.

No comments:

Post a Comment